Monday, February 17, 2014

I count it Joy…

David was described in Acts 13:23 “22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.” I can think of no greater blessing than to be described as a “Man after God’s own Heart”. David trusted God in every situation. In Psalm 40 showed a confident faith; a faith that was based on his assurance that salvation comes only from God.

During the time of David, if a loyal servant loved his master, he could elect to make a lifelong covenant with his master to remain as his servant. This covenant was declared before the judges per Exodus 21:6: “then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.” David used this metaphor to signify his servant-hood to God in Psalm 40:6. He further declared his loyalty and devotion to God in verse 8: “8 I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” David was in fear for his life and was being pursued by Saul, yet he still took time to talk with God on a daily basis.

Jesus is the perfect example of spending time with God on a daily basis. He fully understood the price that was being asked of Him, He willingly and lovingly obeyed His Father; even to the point of death. (Ref Philippians 2:8) Just like the bondservant of David’s day, Jesus was determined to be completely obedient despite the cost. In Hebrews 10:7, Jesus repeated David’s declaration of Verse 8 “7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll— I have come to do your will, O God.” Jesus’ joy was in being obedient to His Father: “34 “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” (John 4:34)

We must seek the same joy of obedience that Jesus found. The writer of Hebrews admonishes us “1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” (Hebrew 12:1-3)

We can never find joy in wealth, material goods, power or other carnal pursuits (These may bring us pleasure, but they are temporary and fleeting). True joy will only come when we realize who God is and live our lives as He desires us to and as Jesus did per Luke 22:42 “42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” It is okay to be fearful of the task that God sets before you. What is not okay is to let that fear stop you from being obedient. God knows that you will not be able to do His task by yourself; that is why He promises to be with us always “…And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20b). Remember what Paul said “13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)

When the Holy Spirit prompts us to look at an area of our life that is not under submission to God; we must obey and bring that area into obedience. Sin will always draw us away from obedience and towards the carnal pursuits that bring pleasure but not joy. Obedience is the difference between a growing Christian and one that is dead in spirit. Joy comes from knowing that we are walking in obedience to the will of God!

If we live in obedience to God, we will live in joy!

In Christ,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment